Saturday, December 26, 2009

Richard Wetherill

Salutations,

Is salutations a little too formal? Anyway, today I have a poem! I know you all have been thirsty for more writing. Enjoy!


Unraveling Mysteries

This, my friend,
Is a story of me,
Who am I?
You soon shall see.

Herding cattle,
Was what I was doin',
When I came across,
A massive ruin.

That year, I recall,
was 1888,
December 18th,
Was that historic date.

What did I do?
I was curious, you see,
So I explored the place,
with my brother-in-law, Charlie.

A lot of things we unearthed,
In that ghost city,
From clay bowls to baskets,
and even some mummies!

I sent some of my artifacts,
to the Smithsonian Institution in D.C.
They thought I was a fraud because,
I was no trained archaeologist, you see.

My life ended in 1910,
because of argument with a Navajo man,
He shot me with his gun,
and away he ran.

Now, years after my death,
My artifacts are displayed,
My hard work is recognized,
and I am praised.

You must be wondering,
who am I?
I am no one but Richard Wetherill,
and now I must say goodbye!

The End

This was actually an assignment we had to do. We read a story about Richard Wetherill and then we had to write a poem ten lines or longer and I came up with this.
Hope you liked it!

Suchi

3 comments:

si said...

Hi ! Suchi... keep posting !
Great work!

Pushpa said...

dear suchi,
this one deserves a A plus! why dont you make this a series of different historical characters that catch your interest??

-manni

nara said...

wonderful. keep them coming.